51 Links and Resources for Technical Teams, Developers, Managers and Architects
Over the years I have collected a number of useful links that had been shared to me by colleagues, found on twitter, in newsletters or just while exploring the web. I have often recommended these to others and thought why not tidy up the list and share with a wider audience.
You, like I may not agree with all the points in all the articles however sit back, continue to be curious and enjoy the read…
“Without continual growth and progress, such words as improvement, achievement, and success have no meaning.” - Benjamin Franklin.
- ‘Give Away Your Legos’ and Other Commandments for Scaling Startups
- The Inverted-U Theory - Pressure vs Stress
- What is Flow?
- Places to Find Mentors
- Beware Burnout
- Learning Styles
- The Differences Between Coaching, Mentoring, Training and Counselling
- 16 skills that have fueled my career - Twitter Thread
- How we measure success Infographic
- Maker’s Schedule vs Managers Schdeule
- 7 Habits I’ve Picked Up From Senior Software Developers
Building a Better Team
Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much. – Helen Keller
- How to Spot and Magnify the Powers of Your Engineering Superheroes
- How should you structure your engineering team?
- Unlocking value with durable teams
- 20 Questions a Software Engineer Should Ask When Joining a New Team
- Handoffs between stages of the software development process create friction
- Why nobody hires junior developers and what happens next
- Hire More Designers Ok?
- How Backstage Made Our Developers More Effective — And How It Can Help Yours, Too
- Tech Leaders, where is your Team?
- Thoughts on show and tells as a remote team
- People are complicated. Leading them isn’t. - Twitter Thread
- The Greiner Curve Understanding the Crises That Come With Growth
- What Team Structure is Right for DevOps to Flourish?
- What is FinOps
- Monoliths vs Microservices is Missing the Point—Start with Team Cognitive Load - Team Topologies
Software Job Roles
We’re more than just our job titles or our list of professional accomplishments. - Arianna Huffington
- Tech Lead – Circles of Responsibility
- How do I still write code as a Tech Lead?
- I Read 21 Articles About How to Become a Senior Developer So You Don’t Have To
- The helix organization
- The reality of being a Principal Engineer
- Career Growth: What Paths After Senior Engineer
Understanding the world of tech
“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic” - Arthur C. Clarke
- Types of Innovation
- What’s the Difference between a Project and a Product?
- The cycle of Product Death
“In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable.” - Dwight D. Eisenhower
- The Fallacy of the Speed / Cost / Quality Trade-off
- How To Build A Product Roadmap Everyone Understands
- The Rise of Modern Product Discovery
- When Agile isn’t Agile
- What is it about Traction?
“You don‘t drive the architecture, the requirements do. You do your best to serve their needs.” ― Richard Monson-Haefel
- The C4 model for visualising software architecture
- Architecture Decision Records (ADR) as a LOG that answers “WHY?”
- Architecture Review Board
- Relating Architecture Review Boards to Other Architecture Governance Bodies
- No more Architecture Review Boards, please?
- The Importance of a Great Developer Experience
- How We Design Our APIs at Slack
- Scaling the Practice of Architecture, Conversationally
- Drawing good architecture diagrams